Sunday, August 08, 2004

Thanks, random thoughts on change

First off thanks to "dimbu" for helping me find something that I had been searching for quite some time now. :)

I watched "Main Hoon Na" today. Nice Hindi movie directed by Farah Khan (she's a choreographer and this is her first film as director and I hope its the first of many more good films from her). I would give it a 7 out of 10.

While I was watching the movie (on DVD) I realized suddenly that I'm holding 3 different remote controls ("clickers" as the cool guys call it). And I remembered a time when all we had at home was a radio (I must be ancient!). I used to fiddle around with it and even got it to receive some strange morse-code like transmissions from ship-to-shore communications! Then I got a multi-band (or is it universal band, whatever) radio that could receive tranmissions from "far off countries" ranging from the BBC in London to interesting stuff from Australian shores. That was fun! I spent hours with that radio - but try as I might I could not make it receive any alien transmissions from Mars.

Then there was the TV. Our first was a black and white Dyanora TV (ancient, ancient, ancient!). And we had exactly one TV channel to watch. Not satisfied with that, Dad and I used to fiddle around with the antenna and the TV tuner and finally one day managed to "catch" the weak TV signals from Roopavahini (I think thats what it was called) TV channel from Sri Lanka! Wow, that was celebration time!! All we got was a faint ghost image with lot of static and somewhat passable audio. But we were happy with the fruits of a job well done.

Twenty years down the line (see, I may not be so ancient) we have a hundred free channels, dozens of "pay TV" channels, DVD, broadband video on demand (and the lucky guys in the USA and elsewhere have TiVO, interactive TV and many other interesting things to waste time with). And I'm holding three clickers.

Times change - the world changes with it. Which is why perhaps we should always look at the big picture and not get bogged in the past or the small problems (they will be small - ten or even five years down the line) we may have to face today. Looking around me I see testimonies to the undying spirit of mankind - the urge to explore and succeed. Regardless of the fact that we still do not know how we came to be and what the heck we're doing here.

So why I am preaching? Well, I need to do something other than talk technology and business. Have fun and enjoy!

This is my thirteen blog post (and no, its not a Friday).

No comments: