Monday, August 23, 2004

Blog housekeeping, etc

I've been doing some blog housekeeping today (now you know how addicted I am). I added a reading list, a gizmo wishlist and also updated the list of blogs I read.

The reading list is basically a list of books I'm reading (or would like to read soon). A neat feature of allconsuming.net allows me to display the book covers etc as you can see under the "Reading list" section on the right.

The gizmo wishlist is a list of cool gadgets I'd like to have (hint hint!). The items with a "-vs-" on them mean that I haven't made up my mind which of the two has the better form (the function being more or less the same - again this is debatable). And if you didn't know already - I'm gadget crazy.

BTW I discovered Dave Barry's hilarious column today. You can read it here (you'll have to go through a free registration). Here's a preview of his recent column:

Competitive weightlifting is hugely popular in Greece. This dates back to ancient times, when the Greeks had to be very strong because pretty much all their possessions were made of marble. A single salad fork could weigh 50 pounds. Just to get through a meal you needed biceps like basketballs.


You can also subscribe to his blog - check the "Dave Barry" entry under the "Blogs I read" section on this page. I've recently updated the blogs list with several good blogs (actually there's too much, I must prune them some day) like Dave Barry, Gizmodo, Hobotraveler etc. Have a look, maybe you'll find something that interests you.

Before I forget - don't watch "The Butterfly Effect". The movie gets a 0/10 from me. I watched the DVD on Sunday and the only consolation were the features on the chaos theory and time travel that came as a part of the DVD. The movie basically is about a guy going back in time and trying to set right the wrong decisions he took along the way. The concept is good but the implementation is shoddy.

The name "Butterfly Effect" describes the phenomenon where a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere, e.g. a butterfly flapping its wings might cause a typhoon half way across the world. Google it and you'll find several interesting articles on the topic.

There's this guy in the DVD featurette that talks about the choices we make in life. And about how one's life may change if something were done differently along the way. Interesting thought...

And there's a caption some place on the featurette that says something to effect that while nature intended life to be in chaos, mankind struggles to bring order to it. So I guess its ok to be chaotic. :)

No comments: