Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The G factor

Perhaps these two weeks have been the longest I've been away from blogging since I started several months back.

I completed reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code (interestingly I could never completely read the printed book, but managed to zoom through the e-book). I've now started reading Digital Fortress by the same author (again the e-book and not the printed version). I see some common threads in all of Dan Brown's books - crypto, conspiracies, and in his last two books the religious angle.

The past few weeks have also been witness to several shocking incidents involving revered people that are currently heading institutions that have been over hundreds of years presenting us with a human face to God. There have been both positive and negative reactions - some claim all this is a conspiracy and while some others smugly say "I told you so".

My thoughts on this are that - if the claims made were true - it simply goes to prove that when the world is full of crooks you cannot expect a few institutions to be spared. I am sure there will be those that are shocked.

Perhaps all of this can be summarized in one sentence - while God made mankind, man made religion.

God is with us at every step of the way (in fact He's just sitting near me watching me type this blog). Our very fabric of existence depends on God. However I believe a select few among us may have taken advantage of our weakness to put a human face to God.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions - we follow today principles and practices that were established several thousand years ago BUT that have been subject to interpretation over the years. Like they say, history is always written by the winners (quote courtesy Da Vinci Code). Does it look like I am overly influenced by the Da Vinci Code? :-)

In other news, the last couple of days witnessed several disastrous data losses in my personal as well as professional sphere. Several hard disks crashed mysteriously taking with them data that was not "backed up". Moral of the story - the real saviour is a terabyte portable hard drive. :-)

No comments: