Friday, October 15, 2004

I'm Skyped

What can I say... Having tried several VoIP services like Net2phone, Dialpad, Yahoo/MSN to Vonage - I rediscovered Skype today (for which I am thankful to Nikolai). The Skype website says "Free Internet Telephony that just works" and it does!

It is absolutely amazing how clear the VoIP conversation was (I spent over 45 minutes talking) on the poor quality Internet bandwidth that we "less fortunate mortals" in India have come to loath and accept - no breaks in audio and no wierd sounds except for when I tried to balance my laptop on one hand and move to another room and ended up accidentally pulling out the mike and generating noise that sounded "like I had my mike near the wheels of a car" (I didn't quite get that expression properly, Nikolai could you please post that comment here, it was hilarious!).

The final verdict - Skype gets a 9 out of 10 from me. I wish they would do a Trillian, so I could use Skype for VoIP as well as to connect to Yahoo/MSN/AIM.

It just works so got get it - Skype

2 comments:

Santosh said...

You see how desperate I am - I comment on my own blog.

Anyway, for some day when someone at Skype reads this blog - I wonder if they'll add an option to archive voice conversations as well. That would be terribly useful. Sort of like a "record now" button that records the audio passing through into a MP3 file or perhaps even a Windows Media 9 file encoded using the "voice" codec, which by the way is extremely small!

Anonymous said...

Eso explica porque estás perdido :)
Sounds good to me :) I guess, I'll be hook on it when I get there....wow, can you believe that I haven't get to India yet :(
Cuidate,
Carito