Friday, February 16, 2007

svchost.exe - application error

If you get this error:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
svchost.exe - application error
The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

And also a error dialog about "Generic Host process for Win32 services", then do this to resolve the problem:

1. Boot into safe mode
2. Disable automatic updates in Windows
3. Reboot system into normal mode
4. Do a manual Windows update
5. Enable automatic updates in Windows
4. Reboot once again


It looks like a recent Windows auto-update messed things up and Windows kept giving the above error on startup. I got this error this morning and was in "safe mode" till I found the above solution.

I actually found "safe mode with networking" much faster and better than the regular "unsafe" mode of Windows. More about that later. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I think this is working for my computer.

Anonymous said...

After completing a Windows update, I am having the same issue. It also seems related to the “No Audio Device” error (not able to have sound).

The steps above helped me resolve the error (The instruction at “0x745f2780” referenced memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be read). However, I continue with the audio and sound problem.

I read the following:

Go to "Start"-\"control Panel"-\"Administrative Tools"-\"Component Services". This will pull up a separate window, on the left click "services (local)" from the tree. Go down to the "windows audio" service. If the service is on "disabled" or "manual"; right click and select "properties" under "startup type" change to "automatic"- click apply. Click "start". Reboot!

But it did not work for me. However, I notice on the Administrative Tool tip of above, the following:

Path to executable:
C\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe –k netsvcs

The svchost.exe does not seem right. I still have not audio

Bhuvana said...

Too Technical for me to follow!

Anonymous said...

Santosh....thank you. It worked for me. Gary in Denver, Colorado